At the beginning of this year, I wanted to simplify everything. This idea leads to my decision to finally get with it and sync calendars with my 14-year-old daughter. Her activities have been clogging up my calendar long enough. Fortunately, she already has a Google email account. This she needed because the Android phone demanded she gets a Google account to do anything fun with games and Apps, which requires an email account. Google’s marketing web starts early, just like McDonald’s, Pepsi/Coke, etc. The strategy I use to combat such an early marketing message is to practice recognizing marketing intentions in all advertisements. We play a game to see who can name the marketing purpose first whenever we get a new advertisement.
Anyway, back to the Google calendar: Here are 7 Benefits that comes along with Google’s free online calendar:
- Share your schedule – This makes scheduling easier when you can see your co-workers or families calendar to compare open times.
- The calendar sync with your phone or tablet or you can use a mobile version of the calendar.
- Alarms are user-friendly and they can notify you by text message directly to your mobile phone or by email. I have a daily notification of my calendar set up so I can receive an email of what I have scheduled at the beginning of each day.
- The calendar makes it easy to invite other people to events and register RSVPs.
- The Google calendar can also sync with your desktop if you use Apple iCal or Mozilla Sunbird. I did not use this feature as I just use the Google calendar directly on my desktop.
- You can even check your calendar when you do not have internet availability with the Offline Access.
- It is free!
To set up your Google Calendar, log in to Google and choose the calendar from the app menu at the top right of your screen. Simply move your cursor over a time on the calendar and start typing into the pop-up window. It really is that easy. The steps to sync this calendar with your mobile phone or tablet is a tiny bit more complicated, but not much. Feel free to give me a call or email and I’ll be happy to help you set this up. Next, enjoy the simple life!